Call For Scripts…Youth Playwriting Competition
The MTA Board of Directors is pleased to the CALL FOR SCRIPTS for the annual High School Playwriting Competition!
The winning student playwright receives a $250 cash prize and an invitation to attend the MTA festival in January. The winning script will be presented in a staged reading at the festival and receive a response from a distinguished panel of critics. The Competition is designed to recognize and promote the works of Mississippi high school playwrights and is open to all Mississippi high school age writers.
Teachers: Please assist us in getting this word out to students around the State. Please announce this information in your classes.
Who’s Eligible: High school students residing in the state of Mississippi. Playwrights should be enrolled in a high school or home school program in grades 9 – 12.
Entry Window: Submissions accepted between April 1 until October 17.
- Script must be a one-act play that has not been published and has not been professionally produced.
- Only one play may be submitted by each playwright, and plays must be written by a single playwright – no collaborations.
- Plays should run no more than one-hour in length, which is roughly about forty (40) pages. We do not accept musicals, full-lengths, adaptations, screenplays, etc.
- Scripts must include no more than 6 characters.
- All scripts must be typed using a 12 point font.
- The minimum number of pages is 20 and the maximum is 40.
- Electronic submissions are required.
- The playwrights name must not appear on the scripts.
- Each submission must include a separate title page.
The Competition is designed to recognize and promote the works of Mississippi high school playwrights and is open to all Mississippi high school age writers. All playwrights who submit will be notified of their status via e mail.
Entries are accepted from April 1 until October 17. Entries postmarked later than October 17 will not be considered.
Each playwright may submit only one play per year. The Mississippi Theatre Association reserves the right not to produce a winner in any given year. Aside from the necessary permission to stage the reading of the winning entry, all rights are retained by the playwright.
The entrance fee is $10.
Information on the online entrance form will be forthcoming as well as further details on the judging process.
For more information contact Janice Weaver (email@example.com). If you would like to serve on the planning/production committee for this event – please contact Janice.
All entries are judged anonymously, through two different rounds of judges.
The winning entry will receive:
- a staged reading at the 2011 MTA Conference,
- free Festival registration,
- Hotel accommodations for the evening of their staged reading, and
- a $250 cash prize
“The Mississippi Theatre Association, complying with the Dramatist Guild of America’s suggested fair use festival regulations, would like to state that the playwriting submission fee is used to offset both production costs of the winning script and applied to the winning playwright’s total monetary award of $250.”