The Secondary Division is one of the most active divisions within MTA. Each year, there are two regional festivals which pre-qualify schools to attend the Mississippi Theatre Association’s Festival. The regional festivals are hosted by Mississippi State University and the University of Southern Mississippi. The festivals are held the first weekend in December.
The division also hosts continuing education / professional development workshops to assist teachers teaching theatre arts. CEU credits are typically given for attendance at the Festival/Convention and for the continuing education workshops.
If you need assistance getting your theatre program off the ground or if you need advice with productions or your curriculum, feel free to contact one of the division chairs listed below or the Executive Director. We are here and willing to assist you in making your program the best it can be!
- 2020 MTA Teacher Workshop
September 11 – 12, 2020
MGCCC – Jefferson Davis Campus
Registration will open August 2020
CEUs will be available.
- Playwriting Competition: Opens April 1, Closes November 1, 2020. Click here for more information.
- South Dramafest – December 4 – December 5, 2020 (2021 Information will be posted October 2020)
- South Festival Information – The University of Southern Mississippi
- South Festival Schedule – The University of Southern Mississippi
- North Dramafest – December 4 – December 5, 2020 (2021 Information will be posted October 2020)
- North Festival Information – Mississippi State University NHDF
- North Festival Schedule – Mississippi State University
- MTA Theatre Festival — January 14-17, 2021 — Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College – Jefferson Davis Campus —
MTA 2021 Information will be posted October 2020
- School Letter and Festival Information school mailer
- School Registration Spreadsheet
- Upload Registration Spreadsheet
- Technical Schematics – Secondary Festival
- Youth Individual Events Rules
- Youth Individual Events – Timekeeper & Doorkeeper Responsibilities
- Youth Individual Events – Technical Title Block
- Youth Individual Event Ballots – (Note if it is a “Youth” or “Adult” ballot at the top right of the ballot)
- IEF – Makeup Design Template 1
- IEF – Makeup Design Template 2
- IEF – Makeup Design Template 3
- 10 Minute Festival
- Jr. / Sr. College Audition Registration
- Jr. / Sr. College Audition Rules
- Jr./Sr. College Audition – How to mark your music
- Jr./Sr. College Audition – Sample audition
- Join the Conversation: MTA hosts a Theater Teacher E-Mail Listserv. Subscribe to the list today to join the conversation.
- If you don’t have a listserv password you can request a new password here.
- MTA Rules and Guidelines: Read these prior to the regional AND state festival.
- Banned Productions 2019 Productions performed at regional festivals within the last 3 years.
- MTA and Dramafest Scoresheet
- MTA Scholarship: $2000 to a deserving high school senior who intends to pursue a theatre degree at a Mississippi college or university.
- “What to Expect at DramaFest“: A video explaining what students and teachers can expect at the Drama Festival. (Please note in the guidelines the new “Go Line” rule that was instated in 2015.)
- Using Copyrighted Music in Theatre Productions: This post urges theatre organizations to use music wisely, making sure they have the legal right to use it in their productions.
- Tips for College and University Auditions : A video explaining what colleges are looking for in their top high school recruits at MTA
- Portfolio Pointers for students auditioning for tech