The Secondary Division is one of the most active divisions within MTA. Each year, there are two regional festivals which pre-qualify schools to attend the Mississippi Theatre Association’s Festival. The regional festivals are hosted by Mississippi State University and the University of Southern Mississippi. The festivals are held the first weekend in December.
The division also hosts continuing education / professional development workshops to assist teachers teaching theatre arts. CEU credits are typically given for attendance at the Festival/Convention and for the continuing education workshops.
If you need assistance getting your theatre program off the ground or if you need advice with productions or your curriculum, feel free to contact one of the division chairs listed below or the Executive Director. We are here and willing to assist you in making your program the best it can be!
- MTA Teacher Workshop – Mississippi University for Women – Columbus, MS – October 6 & 7, 2017. $50 Non-Members / $40 Members. CEUs will be available. Focused workshops include: What is MTA, How to Participate in The Secondary Festival, The New Middle School Festival, the New State Theatre Standards, Mask Making with Tim Matheny from Mississippi State University and More. Click here to register. Click here for agenda.
- Playwriting Competition deadline: November 1, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Dramafest – December 1 & 2 2017
- MTA Theatre Festival — January 11-14, 2018 — Mississippi University for Women — Columbus, MS
- Join the Conversation: MTA hosts a Theater Teacher E-Mail Listserv. Subscribe to the list today to join the conversation.
- If you don’t have a listserv password you can request a new password here.
- MTA Rules and Guidelines: Read these prior to the regional AND state festival.
- Banned Productions 2017 Productions performed at regional festivals within the last 3 years.
- MTA Scholarship: $2000 to a deserving high school senior who intends to pursue a theatre degree at a Mississippi college or university.
- “What to Expect at DramaFest“: A video explaining what students and teachers can expect at the Drama Festival. (Please note in the guidelines the new “Go Line” rule that was instated in 2015.)
- Using Copyrighted Music in Theatre Productions: This post urges theatre organizations to use music wisely, making sure they have the legal right to use it in their productions.
- Tips for College and University Auditions : A video explaining what colleges are looking for in their top high school recruits at MTA