Teachers: Please assist us in getting this word out to students around the State. Please announce this information in your classes.
Playwriting Submission Guidelines
- The MTA Youth Playwriting Competition is open to all Mississippi high school students in grades 9-12.
- This is a one-act playwriting competition, with no particular theme for content. Plays should run no more than one-hour in length, which is roughly forty (40) pages. We do not accept musicals, full-lengths, adaptations, screenplays, etc.
- Plays should not have been previously produced or published. Workshop productions are permissible.
- Scripts should have no more than 6 characters
- Scripts should use the traditional, standard format of Times New Roman or Courier font, 12-point font size, for easier readability.
- Scripts must not include the playwrights name on the PDF version of the script. All entries are judged anonymously, through two different rounds of judges.
- Scripts must include a title page on the script.
- All playwrights who submit will be notified of their status via email.
- Entries are accepted during our screening process, yearly: April 1 – November 1. Entries submitted later than this date will not be considered.
- All rights are retained by the playwright.
- Please fill out the entry form online. This will act as your biographical information.The registration process noted above allows you to submit information about yourself, as well as upload a copy of your script. Electronic submissions are required.
- If you have problems with this process, complete the online form and email a copy of your script to email@example.com, and please make sure that your title page or your manuscript does not include any author information when you submit your script.
- Anyone who has won the Youth Playwriting Competition must wait 2 years to resubmit a play for consideration. (Youth winners can not submit the year after they win the competition)
The winning entry will also receive:
- A staged reading at the Annual MTA Conference,
- Free Festival registration,
- Hotel accommodations for the evening of their staged reading
For more information contact Randy Wayne. Youth Playwriting Division Chair.