MTA awards one $2000 scholarship to a deserving high-school senior who intends to pursue a degree in theatre (performance, technical, or design) at a Mississippi college or university. The award is made during the MTA Festival. Deadline: January 5.
The scholarship will be paid in increments – $250 for fall semester and $250 for spring semester – for up to four years.
Scholarship recipients are required to take theatre-related courses and maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) taking a minimum of twelve (12) hours per semester. These courses must be in a theatre-related program at a Mississippi college or university (this does not include extracurricular workshops or summer theatre camps). Should the scholarship recipient at any time fail to meet these requirements, he/she will forfeit the balance of the scholarship.
Causes for scholarship forfeiture:
- Transfer to an out-of-state school
- Change of major to a non-theatre-related field
- Failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Failure to submit course load and grades to the Scholarship Committee
Qualifications for scholarship:
- High school senior with a 2.5 GPA or better
- Plan to pursue theatre-related major at a Mississippi college or university
Those wishing to be considered for the MTA scholarship should apply online and be prepared to submit the following:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a theatre teacher or theatre-related advisor. (In cases where an applicant attends a high school that does not have a theatre teacher or theatre-related advisor, one of the letters must come from a representative of a theatre group with whom the applicant has had experience.) Mail letters to Stephen Cunetto, 863 Valley Hills Circle, Starkville, MS 39759.
- A list of productions on which the applicant has worked and the capacity in which the applicant served
- A list of awards (both theatre and non-theatre related), extracurricular activities, community service, involvement in MTA, etc.
- A brief statement (50 words or less) explaining why the applicant is pursuing theatre education..
Those wishing to receive a scholarship for acting must register for and attend the auditions for colleges and universities. This event is typically held the Thursday evening prior to the State Festival in January. Members of the scholarship committee will be there to observe.
Those wishing to receive a scholarship for a technical-related major in theatre must register for and participate in the Individual Events Festival in the Scenic Design and Execution, the Costume Design and Execution, and/or the Poster Design category/categories.
Past Scholarship Recipients:
|Year||Winner's Name||Theatre Affiliation||Notes|
|2017||Renee Shield||Stone High School||Will be attending Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - Perkinston Campus|
|2016||Rachel Roan||University of Southern Mississippi|
|2011||Kristin Zumbro||University of Mississippi||First year to offer a $2000 scholarship paid over 4 years|
|2010||Logan Little||University of Mississippi|
|2009||Jessica Roberts||University of Southern MIssissippi||First year to offer 2 scholarships|
|2009||Maureen Hughes||Mississippi State University||First year to offer 2 scholarships|
|2008||Jordan Randall||University of Southern MIssissippi|
|2007||Chris Dunnels||University of Mississippi|
|2006||John Neil Kelly||University of Mississippi|
|2005||Krystal Sabol||William Carey College|